- First-Year Seminar: 3 credits (COLA 100 or equivalent)
- English Composition: 6 credits (ENG 101 and ENG 102 or equivalent)
- Second-Year Seminar: 3 credits (ENG 231 or 232)
- Constitutions: 4 credits
- Mathematics: 3 credits
- Life & Physical Sciences & Analytical Thinking: 9-10 credits (PHI 102, and two courses from Life & Physical Sciences category; at least one must be a lab)
- Social Science: 9 credits
- Multicultural: see notes
- International: see notes
English Major Requirements
Foreign Language: 9 credits
Fine Arts: 6 credits
English Major Requirements: 45 credits
- Writing about Literature: ENG 298
- Literary Theory: ENG 303
- Two British Literature Surveys: Either ENG 235 and 236, or ENG 449A and 449B.
- Two American Literature Surveys: Either ENG 241 and 242, or ENG 451A and 451B.
- English Language and Linguistics: ENG 411A, 411B, 414A, or 414B (this course may be used to satisfy the English Language and Linguistics requirement OR to satisfy 3 credits of FOL requirement but NOT both.)
- English Electives: Eight 400-level courses. Must include at least two courses prior to 1800 and one course in multi-ethnic literatures.
General Electives: 25-26 credits
Total: 120 credits
- ENG 101 and ENG 102 (or their equivalents) are prerequisites for all English courses except creative writing courses.
- ENG majors must take three semesters of a single foreign language (two of which fulfill the college foreign culture requirement) or two semesters of a single language plus ENG 415B Old English I or one semester of Latin.
- Every student must complete a three-credit multicultural course and a three-credit international course. Courses satisfying other requirements may simultaneously satisfy the multicultural and international requirements except one course cannot satisfy both the multicultural and the international requirements. ENG courses already approved to satisfy the multicultural requirement include: ENG 290, 291, 292, 494A, 495A, 495B, and 496A.