The Department of English offers courses of study leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, and the Ph.D. The undergraduate degree follows a course of historical study in the English language and the literatures of Britain and the United States, as well as related English-language traditions and literary works in translation. Students are trained in composition and proceed with a solid grounding in critical theory to explore literature as an artistic medium and an intellectual discipline. They acquire skills in writing and textual analysis designed to complement other academic studies and to enhance later professional and personal goals. The university and community are enriched by public lectures, poetry readings, and the publication of four journals devoted to criticism and creative writing.
- Undergraduate Catalogue
- Spring 2014 Course Descriptions
- Fall 2013 Course Descriptions
- Spring 2013 Course Descriptions
- Fall 2012 Course Descriptions
- Spring 2012 Course Descriptions
- Fall 2011 Course Descriptions
- Spring 2011 Course Descriptions
- Fall 2010 Course Descriptions
- Spring 2010 Course Descriptions
- Fall 2009 Course Descriptions (.pdf)
Apply to UNLV
For any inquires about majoring or minoring in English, or about the English Department’s undergraduate course of study, please contact Anne Stevens, the Undergraduate Coordinator.
English Composition Placement
ENGLISH 98, 101 and 102
For questions about placement in required English Composition courses please contact the Department's English Composition program.