Forms & Information
- UNLV Thesis & Diss. Manual
- Comp Exam Results Form
- Proposed Doctoral Degree Form - Graduate College
- Proposed Doctoral Degree Form - English Dept
- Graduate Independent Study Form
- UNLV Grad College Forms
The Department of English at UNLV offers a program of study leading to the degree of Doctor of Philosophy in English. The program centers on the study of English and American literature and is designed to train students for careers in the teaching of English at the college or university level and for the research and writing that ordinarily accompany such careers. It can be completed in three to five years. The program of study includes course work in English with the option of a six-credit emphasis in Composition Studies, a Qualifying Examination, and a dissertation. There is also a requirement in foreign languages. Admission is for holders of an MA in English only.
In contrast to the Master of Arts program at UNLV, which aims at a general and comprehensive understanding of the field, PhD studies are designed to build upon the foundations of such general knowledge an expert competence in three selected areas chosen from designated categories that include chronological periods, genres, and a major author approved by the student’s advisory committee and the Graduate Director. This specialized knowledge is developed in the course-work, tested in the Qualifying Examination, and provides the groundwork for the dissertation, which will concern itself with the areas in which the student has chosen to specialize. The Qualifying Examination and the writing of a dissertation are thus the focal points of the student's doctoral work. It is necessary for the student to have a clear idea at the outset of the program what chronological period (such as the 18th century), what literary genre (such as the novel), and what additional third element—either an additional period, a major author outside of the selected period, or a special topic—are to be the areas of specialization. If a student chooses the six-credit emphasis, that will become the third area.
How To Apply
Applications for admission to the English Department’s graduate programs are submitted through the UNLV Graduate College. Official GRE results should be sent to the English department (institution code: 4861; applicants should not enter a department code).
- Online Application to the UNLV Graduate College
- Information on requirements for filing your application from the UNLV Graduate College.
- Funding available through Graduate Assistantships, scholarships, fellowships, and financial aid.
- Nov. 1: Deadline for applications for Spring admission to MA and PhD programs.
- Jan. 15: Deadline for applications for Fall admission to MA, MFA and PhD programs.